How do I become a primary school teacher?
Before the start of this course you must have the following, BUT you do not need them before you apply to us.
- GCSE Mathematics (or equivalent) – Grade C / 4 or above
- GCSE English Language (or equivalent) – Grade C / 4 or above
- GCSE Science (or equivalent) – Grade C / 4 or above
- Professional Skills Tests in Literacy and Numeracy (https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/how-to-apply/passing-the-skills-tests)
- Hold an undergraduate degree of a UK HEI or equivalent – subject and degree classification are not restricted. We look at all applications individually; and take into account other subject knowledge and experiences as part of your application.
If you think you have or can attain the above before 1st September 2018 then follow these simple(ish) steps … if at any point you want to talk it through – then give us a call, we’ll be more than happy to help.
- Register with UCAS and complete the online Application – you can find registration and further guidance on how to do this via UCAS.com
- Enter one of our UCAS codes; remember all of our programmes are led in the same way and we use the same arrangement on placement schools.
- N32 – South Birmingham SCITT
- 226 – Birmingham Primary Training Partnership
- 19Q – Colmore Partnership Teaching School Alliance
- 19O – Ninestiles TSA
- 1RH – Waverley TSA
- When writing your personal statement, we are looking for a sense of determination, drive, passion, and a willingness to learn!
- Proof read – and send off for your references – this will be at the submission of your application form. Please note we do not see applications until references are complete, so it always worth politely reminding referees’ to complete their section.
- You will either be notified on UCAS that you have been unsuccessful OR receive an email directly from us requesting you for interview. Look out for an email or phone call from Carol Lewis.
- Interview day; we’ll give you detail of this when we have arranged a date and time with you. Following the day you will then be informed of our decision within 48 hours.
- UCAS will be updated accordingly.
- If you’re successful; we will keep in touch with you and begin the induction programme so you are excited and ready to get going for the course start date!!
Still confused? Then please give us a call or contact us by email. We can always arrange for you to come in and meet with us to support you in getting your application right.