South Birmingham SCITT …
… is the perfect place for someone who doesn’t just want a job in teaching, they want a career
… is a supportive, encouraging environment and the staff will go out of their way to make you a success
… will help find the teacher in you
- Primary initial teacher training; we have programmes to suit two age ranges: 3-7 and 5-11 you choose depending on which age phase you would like to focus on. Please seen Primary ITT for more detail.
- Secondary initial teacher training; we have programmes to suit two age ranges: 11-16 and 14-19 you choose depending on which age phase you would like to focus on. Please see Secondary ITT for more detail.
- School led provision; School Centred Initial Teacher Training (SCITT) and Schools Direct
Our programmes are all the same whether they are through our SCITT or our School Direct Partners.
- South Birmingham SCITT
- Birmingham Primary Training Partnership
- Colmore Primary Teaching School Alliance
- Ninestiles Teaching School Alliance
- Waverley Teaching School
- Achieve Qualified Teachers Status (QTS); this is the qualification you need to teach in a school classroom
- Achieve a Post Graduate Qualification in Teaching and Learning (min. PGCertEd) a secure route onto a Masters programme (80 L7 credits); this is equivalent to a PGCE, but we separate the qualification out, so we can make it bespoke and flexible to you. We can even take you through to achieve the full Masters in Teaching and Learning in the subsequent years. We collaborate with Birmingham City University, therefore you are classed as one of their students meaning you are entitled to all of the super resources and privileges which are accessible as a full time student.
- 15 years experience of training new teachers
- Recognised locally and nationally for its strong provision
- 1 year full time – September to July;
- 1 day in training and 4 days in school; this way you see the full academic year in practice, and feel part of the school community from day one.
- Highly skilled practitioners to ensure high quality learning for the trainee; learn from real teachers in real classrooms. Having such fantastic partnerships of Teaching School Alliances means that we have an abundance of current practitioners to take you through every aspect of training
- Bespoke programme offering high levels of support to enable you to reach your full potential; you are supported personally through the programme, we are always at the end of a phone or email, and our partnership enables us to come and see you at anytime to support you. Our partnership school based trainers are also all trained to deliver and facilitate our programme. Not forgetting the fantastic peer group you will have.
- Strategic partners of a number of Teaching Schools to secure individuals early career entry and opportunities into leadership; High-quality professional development requires workplaces to be steeped in rigorous scholarship, with professionals continually developing and supporting each other so that pupils benefit from the best possible teaching. Teaching Schools have a responsibility to provide teachers with this high quality provision. Our collaboration with a number of teaching schools in the locality allows us to ensure that you are secure in your early career and can attain you access to such scholarship.
- At least two placement schools; we work with over 50 placement schools in and around Birmingham (see our partnership). This allows you to gain a breadth of experiences and strategies – no two schools are the same! We allocate your placement in the first instance on your location and ability to travel, and then we look to find the right school for you.
- Our training location is at The Sixth Form College, Solihull (B91 3WR); it is a modern learning environment and easily commutable with many transport links. As trainees through our provision you get full access to the college resources; free gym membership, restaurant including its very own Costa, extensive learning library with access to educational journals, free parking.
If you are confused about the different routes into teaching, we are more than happy to go through it with you and support the different options for you.