With nearly 20 years experience training new teachers we know that
South Birmingham SCITT …
… is the perfect place for someone who doesn’t just want a job in teaching, they want a career
… is a supportive, encouraging environment and the staff will go out of their way to make you a success
… will help find the teacher in you
- Achieve Qualified Teachers Status (QTS); this is the qualification you need to teach in a school classroom
- Achieve a Post Graduate Certificate in Education (Level 7 Qualification in Teaching and Learning (min. PGCertEd) a secure route onto a Masters programme (80 L7 credits); this is equivalent to a PGCE, but we separate the qualification out, so we can make it bespoke and flexible to you. We can even take you through to achieve the full Masters in Teaching and Learning in the subsequent years. We collaborate with Birmingham City University, therefore you are classed as one of their students meaning you are entitled to all of the super resources and privileges which are accessible as a full time student.
- Primary initial teacher training; we lead on predominantly 5 to 11 year old Primary Education We can also lead with a specialism in Maths. Please see Primary ITT for more detail.
- Secondary initial teacher training; we lead predominantly 11 to 16 year old Secondary Education. With the right setting and experience we can qualify in 11 to 18 and 14 to 19 depending on which age phase you wish to focus upon. Please see Secondary ITT for more detail.
- School led provision; We provide allocations from a number of SCHOOL DIRECT partnerships as well as PROVIDER LED (SCITT)
Our programmes are all the same whether they are through our SCHOOL DIRECT or PROVIDER LED (SCITT)
- South Birmingham SCITT
- Colmore Primary Teaching School Alliance
- Ninestiles School, An Academy
- The St Augustine Partnership
- Researchers in Schools (Applications taken through The Brilliant Club)
- Future Teaching Scholars Programme (Applications taken through Education Development Trust)
- Recognised locally and nationally for its strong provision
- 1 year full time – September to July;
- 1 day in training and 4 days in school; this way you see the full academic year in practice, and feel part of the school community from day one. The 4 days in schools are built up gradually where you are supported every step of the way by your assigned School Based Trainers
- Highly skilled practitioners to ensure high quality learning for the trainee; learn from real teachers in real classrooms. Having such fantastic partnerships of Schools means that we have an abundance of current practitioners to take you through every aspect of training
- Bespoke programme offering high levels of support to enable you to reach your full potential; you are supported personally through the programme, we are always at the end of a phone or email, and our partnership enables us to come and see you at anytime to support you. Our partnership school based trainers are also all trained to deliver and facilitate our programme. Not forgetting the fantastic peer group you will have.
- Strategic partners of a number of Schools, Research Schools and Multi Academy Trusts to secure individuals early career entry and opportunities into leadership; High-quality professional development requires workplaces to be steeped in rigorous scholarship, with professionals continually developing and supporting each other so that pupils benefit from the best possible teaching. Schools have a responsibility to provide teachers with this high quality provision. Our collaboration with a number of educational establishments in the locality allows us to ensure that you are secure in your early career and can attain you access to such scholarship.
- At least two placement schools; we work with a number of placement schools in and around Birmingham (please see our partnership). This allows you to gain a breadth of experiences and strategies – no two schools are the same! We allocate your placement in the first instance on your location and ability to travel, and then ensure that it will the right school for you.
- Our training location is at The Sixth Form College, Solihull (B91 3WR); it is a modern learning environment and easily commutable with many transport links. As trainees through our provision you get full access to the college resources; free gym membership, restaurant including its very own Starbucks, extensive learning library with access to educational journals, free parking.
If you are confused about the different routes into teaching, we are more than happy to go through it with you and support the different options for you.